Rob Manfred says Red Sox investigation will be done ‘by the end of next week’
By Alex Barth, 985TheSportsHub.com
During a pre-planned press conference Sunday afternoon, MLB commissioner Rob Manfred told reporters he expects the league’s investigation into the Red Sox to continue into their Spring Training schedule. According to Manfred, unexpected interviews slowed down the process. Manfred had told reporters last week that he expected the process to be done before the team started Spring Training, a deadline that has already passed.
Manfred says Red Sox investigation will be completed by the end of next week. It has been slowed by "a couple of developments that slowed it down and people had to be reinterviewed."
— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) February 16, 2020
Manfred was also asked about the Astros scandal and perceived ‘immunity’ players received from the league. Manfred went back to a theme he used repeatedly in an interview with ESPN, saying he believes being judged by the court of public opinion is punishment enough.
Manfred takes issue with the notion that anyone in the Astros organization avoided punishment. Says faces of Astros players show "they have been hurt by this" and will be faced with questions of what happened in 17 and 18 for the "rest of their lives."
— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) February 16, 2020
As annoying as this may seem, the silver lining for Red Sox fans is this should mean none of Boston’s players will receive punishment when the league’s investigation into the team is released.
The Red Sox will hold their first team workout on Monday, with their first game action coming Friday against Northeastern.
Alex Barth is a writer and digital producer for 985TheSportsHub.com. Any opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of 98.5 The Sports Hub, Beasley Media Group, or any subsidiaries. Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Hate mail? Let him hear it on Twitter @RealAlexBarth or via email at Alexander.Barth@bbgi.com.