Boston Red Sox

BOSTON, MA - JUNE 3: Torii Hunter #48 of the Minnesota Twins heads to right field after he made an out with two men on base in the sixth inning during the first game of a doubleheader at Fenway Park on June 3, 2015 in Boston, Massachusetts. (Photo by Jim Rogash/Getty Images)

98.5 The Sports Hub staff report

The Boston Red Sox are not denying the legitimacy of Torii Hunter’s claims of racial abuse at Fenway Park.

In fact, in a statement released Wednesday, the Red Sox called Hunter’s experiences “real.”

“Torii Hunter’s experience is real,” Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy’s statement read. “If you doubt him because you’ve never heard it yourself, take it from us, it happens. Last year there were seven reported incidents at Fenway Park where fans used racial slurs. Those are just the ones we know about. And it’s not only players. It happens to the dedicated Black employees who work for us on game days. Their uniforms may be different, but their voices and experiences are just as important. We are grateful to everyone who has spoken up and remain committed to using our platform to amplify many voices who are calling out injustice.”

Hunter, who claimed he was called the N-word at Fenway “one hundred times” throughout his career, was not the first player to say he was subjected to racist taunts in Boston.

Back in 2017, then-Orioles outfielder Adam Jones said that he was hit with racist taunts, and the Yankees’ C.C. Sabathia said Fenway was the only place where he had heard racist taunts.

“There are well-established consequences for fans who use racial slurs and hate speech in our venue, and we know we have more work to do,” said Kennedy. “This small group of fans does not represent who we are, but rather a reflection of larger systemic issues that as an organization we need to address.

“True change starts from within, and as we identify how we can do better, please know we are listening. We hear you, and we believe you.”

Click here for 98.5 The Sports Hub’s complete coverage of the Red Sox