It’s going to be an amazing weekend weather-wise, probably a good time to get out and enjoy some food in the backyard with family and friends.
We’ve got a few ideas when it comes to chicken BBQ dishes that everyone will enjoy.
Southwest Chicken Tortillas
- 1 (8.5-oz.) pouch microwaveable basmati rice
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce, seeded
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon canned adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 6 to 12 corn tortillas, grilled or warmed
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 3 ounces shredded Mexican 4-cheese blend (3/4 cup)
Microwave rice according to package directions. Transfer to a large bowl, and fluff with a fork. Set aside.
Process mayonnaise, buttermilk, cilantro, chipotle chile, lime juice, sugar, adobo sauce, cumin, and salt in a blender or food processor until smooth.
Gently stir chicken, beans, scallions, and 3/4 cup mayonnaise mixture into rice. Spoon about 1/2 cup chicken mixture into each tortilla. Top each with 1 tablespoon salsa and 1 tablespoon cheese. Serve with additional mayonnaise mixture.
Lemon Herb Chicken Kabobs
- 1/2 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon packed fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch-wide strips
- 12 ounces thick asparagus, cut into 1 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 2 small lemons, very thinly sliced and seeds removed
Stir together first 6 ingredients, 5 tablespoons of the oil, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and 1⁄2 teaspoon of the black pepper in a medium bowl. Add chicken; toss to coat. Chill 1 hour.
Preheat grill to medium-high (400°F to 450°F). Toss asparagus and lemon slices with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Thread chicken, asparagus, and lemon slices tightly onto 8 (8-inch) skewers, folding chicken strips and lemon slices in half as needed. Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper. Place kebabs on lightly greased grill grate. Grill, uncovered, until asparagus is tender and chicken is charred and cooked through, 12 to 14 minutes, turning occasionally.
Southern Style Fried Chicken
- 1 (3- to 4-pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Self-rising flour
- Vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken in a shallow dish or zip-top plastic bag, and add buttermilk. Cover or seal, and chill at least 2 hours.
Remove chicken from buttermilk, discarding buttermilk. Dredge chicken in flour.
Pour oil to a depth of 1 1/2 inches in a deep skillet or Dutch oven; heat to 360°. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time; cover and cook 6 minutes. Uncover chicken, and cook 9 minutes. Turn chicken; cover and cook 6 minutes. Uncover and cook 5 to 9 minutes, turning chicken the last 3 minutes for even browning, if necessary. Drain on paper towels.
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, tightly packed
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp minced onion, dried
- 1 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1-1/2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 7 pounds chicken pieces
In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and saute until tender.
Stir in the next 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
Brush grill rack lightly with oil, then pre-heat grill to medium-high, about 400 degrees.
Place chicken on grill rack and cook covered for 30 minutes, opening the lid to turn occasionally.
Baste with the sauce and continue cooking for about 15 additional minutes, continuing to baste and turn every 5 minutes until chicken reaches an internal temperature on a grill thermometer of 170 degrees.
Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup buffalo sauce
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 16 slider rolls, halved
- ¾ cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 6 leaves butter lettuce, roughly torn
In a small skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the buffalo sauce. Remove from the heat.
In large bowl, toss the chicken and celery to combine. Add the sauce and toss to coat.
Build sliders with the chicken mixture, blue cheese and lettuce.
Shredded BBQ Chicken over Grits
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup hickory smoke-flavored barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon ground ancho chili pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
Sprinkle chicken with pepper; place in a large nonstick skillet.
In a large bowl, combine 1 cup broth, barbecue sauce, molasses, chili pepper and cinnamon; pour over chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 165°. Shred meat with 2 forks and return to the skillet.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring water and remaining broth to a boil. Slowly stir in grits and pumpkin. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted.
Divide grits among 6 serving bowls; top each with 1/2 cup chicken mixture. Serve with tomato, sour cream, green onions and cilantro.