98.5 The Sports Hub staff report
The Boston Red Sox made an obvious move official last Friday with the re-hiring of manager Alex Cora.
Stepping down from his post earlier this year due to his involvement in the Astros' sign-stealing scandal, and suspended for the 2019 season, it felt like Cora was always lurking in the background of the organization's future. It always felt obvious that Ron Roenicke was not long for the job, and the Sox certainly didn't set him up to succeed. And when Roenicke was axed after just one season, it didn't take long for Cora to emerge as Chaim Bloom & Co.'s favorite.
But as obvious as it may have seemed, Cora, who was also linked to the cheating scandal linked to Boston's 2018 World Series title over the Dodgers, knows he's fortunate to get another chance.
“I am grateful for the opportunity to manage once again and return to the game I have loved my entire life,” Cora said in a statement. “This past year, I have had time to reflect and evaluate many things, and I recognize how fortunate I am to lead this team once again. Not being a part of the game of baseball, and the pain of bringing negative attention to my family and this organization was extremely difficult. I am sorry for the harm my past actions have caused and will work hard to make this organization and its fans proud."
In a statement of their own, both Bloom and Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy praised Cora as the guy they wanted back in town.
Now comes rewarding their faith.
"I owe John Henry, Tom Werner, Mike Gordon, Sam Kennedy, Chaim Bloom and Brian O’Halloran my gratitude for giving me another chance," said Cora. "I am eager to get back to work with our front office, coaches, and especially our players.
"Boston is where I have always wanted to be and I could not be more excited to help the Red Sox achieve our ultimate goal of winning in October.”
The 45-year-old Cora, who won the World Series in his first season with the Sox, compiled a 192-132 record in his first run as Boston's skipper.