By Matt McCarthy, 985TheSportsHub.com
Dustin Pedroia will return to the Major Leagues for the first time since last May.
The Red Sox announced Tuesday that Pedroia has been activated from the injured list ahead of the team's home opener at Fenway Park. Infielder Tzu-Wei Lin was sent to Triple-A Pawtucket to make room on the roster.
Prior to today’s game against the Toronto Blue Jays, the #RedSox reinstated 2B Dustin Pedroia from the 10-day injured list. To make room for Pedroia on the active 25-man roster, the club optioned INF Tzu-Wei Lin to Triple-A Pawtucket. pic.twitter.com/7URx08e1Px
— Boston Red Sox (@RedSox) April 9, 2019
Pedroia is in the starting lineup and is batting seventh.
Pedroia is trying to work his way back from from knee surgery that has sidelined him for all but three games since the end of the 2017 season.
He has not appeared in a Major League game since May 31, 2018.
The long-time Sox second baseman had been rehabbing in Single-A Greenville in the last week after the team decided not to put him on the opening day roster. Pedroia claimed he was ready to join the Red Sox for opening day and said the organization made the decision to hold him back out of an abundance of caution.
"It’s just they’re scared," Pedroia said. "No one has ever come back from something like this. They want me to make sure I follow the right steps to do that and make sure everyone is 100 percent confident that when I come back, I come back and stay back and not have any issues."