By Matt McCarthy, 985TheSportsHub.com
Red Sox reliever Hector Velazquez will be one of the players on the team choosing not to attend May's visit to the White House to celebrate the 2018 World Series title.
In a discussion with MassLive's Christopher Smith, Velazquez said he will not go to Washington on May 9 with some of his teammates due to the comments President Donald Trump has made about his native Mexico. The right-hander expressed concern that his attendance would offend many back home.
“I made the choice not to go because, as we know, the president has said a lot of stuff about Mexico," Velazquez told Smith. "I have a lot of people in Mexico that are fans of me, that follow me. And I’m from there. So I would rather not offend anyone over there.”
Velazquez will not be the only player skipping the trip. Mookie Betts, Jackie Bradley Jr., and Rafael Devers have said publicly that they will not attend, while other players remain undecided.
Velazquez went 7-2 in 85 innings for the Sox last year, but was not on the postseason roster.