By Matt McCarthy, 985TheSportsHub.com
Baseball America's annual preseason compilation of the Top 100 prospects in the game was released on Wednesday, and the Red Sox didn't have a single player in their minor league system make the list.
This marks the second straight rankings period where the Sox have not been represented in the Top 100. They did not have any players make the midseason 2018 rankings.
The Red Sox had two Top 100 prospects on the 2018 preseason list, left-handed pitcher Jay Groome at 83 and third baseman Michael Chavis at 85, but both fell off the list by midseason last year after Groome underwent Tommy John surgery and Chavis was suspended for a positive PED test.
Blue Jays prospect Vladimir Guerrero Jr. was named the top prospect in baseball. Guerrero hit .381 with 20 home runs in 95 games between Single-A, Double-A, and Triple-A in 2018, including 14 home runs and a .402 average at Double-A New Hampshire.
The Red Sox top prospect is third baseman Bobby Dalbec, who hit 32 home runs between Single-A Salem and Double-A Portland in 2018. He has been invited to major league camp in spring training.
The full Red Sox Baseball America Top 10 list is below:
1. Bobby Dalbec, 3B (Double-A Portland)
2. Michael Chavis, 3B/1B (Triple-A Pawtucket)
3. Darwinzon Hernandez, LHP (Double-A Portland)
4. Jay Groome, LHP (Low Single-A Greenville)
5. Triston Cases, 3B (Rookie-Level Gulf Coast League Red Sox)
6. Bryan Mata, RHP (High Single-A Salem)
7. Tanner Houck, RHP (High Single-A Salem)
8. Mike Shawaryn, RHP (Triple-A Pawtucket)
9. Antoni Flores, SS (Rookie-Level Gulf Coast League Red Sox)
10. C.J. Chatham, SS (High Single-A Salem)