Red Sox Again Express Concerns Over Luxury Tax and Payroll

By Matt McCarthy, 985TheSportsHub.com

It sure sounds like the Red Sox are done spending money this offseason.

Speaking before Thursday's Boston Baseball Writers Association of America dinner, Red Sox President of Baseball Operations Dave Dombrowski again indicated that he has no plans to make any more major moves this offseason.

The Red Sox still do not have a closer, but Dombrowski appears comfortable entering 2019 without Craig Kimbrel, who remains unsigned, and without replacing Joe Kelly, who signed a three-year contract with the Dodgers last month.

Dombrowski also said last week that he does not plan to spend big money on a closer.  Thursday's comments on the bullpen situation came just hours after the New York Yankees bolstered their relief core by adding Adam Ottavino on a three-year, $27 million contract.

The apparent unwillingness to spend any more money comes after the Red Sox went deep into luxury tax penalties last year. They had the highest payroll in baseball in 2018 and will likely spend the most money in the game again in 2019.

Red Sox manager Alex Cora also said Thursday that the team is comfortable about their situation at second base. Dustin Pedroia continues his rehab from knee surgery in 2017 and his status remains up in the air for 2019. The Red Sox have Brock Holt and Eduardo Nunez as insurance policies, and the team has also indicated they plan to try one of their top prospects, third baseman Michael Chavis, at second base this season.

Chavis is expected to begin the year at Triple-A Pawtucket.

You can hear Matt McCarthy on 98.5 The Sports Hub's own Hardcore Baseball podcast and on various 98.5 The Sports Hub programs. Follow him on Twitter @MattMcCarthy985.