The Boston Red Sox have been extended and accepted an invitation to the White House for a championship celebration with President Donald Trump, Red Sox president Sam Kennedy has confirmed.
#RedSox President Sam Kennedy just told reporters the Sox have been invited to the White House and accepted. No date determined yet. Could be before the regular season.— Pete Abraham (@PeteAbe) December 3, 2018
The official confirmation comes over a month after Red Sox manager Alex Cora said that he was ‘unsure’ whether or not the team would visit the White House, which has become a hot topic of sorts since the Trump presidency began in 2017.
Last year, it was the Golden State Warriors that set the internet ablaze with their decision not to go to the White House, and with a Twitter back and forth that even prompted LeBron James to get involved, calling Trump “a bum,” saying it used to be an honor to visit the White House before Trump took office. And it was earlier this year that Trump disinvited the Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles to the White House, citing the national anthem dispute as his reason.
Cora, a Puerto Rico native that’s been critical of Trump’s “disrespectful” tweets about his homeland, will go to the ceremony, but plans on using his platform “the right way” as a representative for Puerto Rico.
Alex Cora will go. Promises to use the platform in the “right way,” representing Puerto Rico.— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) December 4, 2018
The Red Sox will be the second Boston sports team to visit the White House during the Trump administration, as the Patriots (minus starting quarterback and MVP Tom Brady, anyway) visited Trump in Apr. 2017.