According to a new report, Major League Baseball is investigating the Houston Astros for some type of incident that took place during Game 1 of the American League Championship Series at Fenway Park.
Danny Picard of Metro reported Tuesday that security personnel removed someone with a camera from a credentialed part of the ballpark near the Red Sox dugout during Saturday night’s game. The man claimed to be an Astros employee.
“In the third inning of the first game of the series, security removed a man claiming to be an Astros employee from the media-credentialed area next to the Boston Red Sox dugout, according to multiple security sources who were on the scene at the time of the incident,” Picard wrote. “The man had a small camera and was texting frequently, but did not have a media credential.”
Alex Speier of The Boston Globe reported league officials believe the employee was trying to determine if the Red Sox were stealing signs from the Astros by using video monitors in their dugout.
According to Picard, security had been tipped off about a similar situation that may have occurred during the Astros first playoff series against the Indians.
“Security sources say they had been warned about the man, because of some suspicious activity in Houston’s ALDS series against the Cleveland Indians. It’s unclear as to whether or not that warning came from Major League Baseball or the Red Sox.”
A Major League Baseball spokesperson told Picard that the matter will be handled internally, but confirmed the league is aware of the incident.
“All I can say is it’s in Major League Baseball’s hands,” said Red Sox President of Baseball Operations Dave Dombrowski. “It was done early in the game, caught early in the game. There are things they were dealing with.”