It took until Sept. 7, but Boston Red Sox manager Alex Cora has finally confirmed the seemingly obvious: Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia is not returning to the Red Sox lineup in 2018.
Speaking with reporters before the start of a key series with the Houston Astros, the first-year manager acknowledged that the team and Pedroia simply ran out of time to get No. 15 back on a rehab track that allowed him to return to the diamond this year.
Especially with a July procedure that added even more time to Pedroia’s labor-intensive recovery.
Cora says Dustin Pedroia will not come back this season, saying simply, “We ran out of time....he’s ok with the decision.” Cora says Pedroia had a knee scope at the end of July to clean up scar tissue...He’ll be back next year.” #RedSox #WBZ @wbz— Dan Roche (@RochieWBZ) September 7, 2018
The 35-year-old Pedroia appeared in just three games for the Red Sox this season, with one hit and a run scored in 11 at-bats.
With Pedroia on the shelf, the Red Sox have had a considerable revolving door at second base.
While the pre-deadline grind featured a heavy dose of Brock Holt and Eduardo Nunez at second, Red Sox front office boss Dave Dombrowski traded for the Angels’ Ian Kinsler before the MLB trade deadline, and the team recalled veteran second baseman Brandon Phillips from Triple-A Pawtucket earlier this week.
Cora hopes that Pedroia will be back at 100 percent for the start of the 2019 season.